Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Costa Rica Alive! Animals

For my second installment of my Costa Rica Alive! series, I'm going to focus on animals (the first was birds and butterflies--click here to see that one). Again, this will be just a small sampling of what is in Costa Rica, but these are the ones WE have seen--and most importantly, had the camera ready for!

I'll start out with soft-and-cuddly and move to NOT-so-soft-and-cuddly--in a very unscientific way. And for those of you who are wondering: Yes, I do consider frogs soft and cuddly! They are my favorite animal, after all. Hope you enjoy!


Holding a baby howler monkey at the animal shelter.


A baby skunk at the animal shelter

Our youngest holding a kinkajou at the animal shelter.


This agouti was very interested in my sneaker!



Okay, maybe this frog isn't that soft-n-cuddly!
a cool looking crab




a Boa
I know that posting the picture of the Boa is something a lot of other bloggers might not do--after all it "scares" some people away. But let me diverge for just a second onto one of my pet peeves: people who ask me how I could possibly want to move to Costa Rica with all the snakes, bugs, or whatever they deem to be an impossible animal to live near. Well, I don't want to sugar coat things. There are some dangerous snakes in Costa Rica. Will you see one every day? No. One a year? Maybe. But before you all run away and swear off Costa Rica, let's have a little reality check. I live in California right now, and we have black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, and scorpions. In our houses. I've seen black widows in my house. Friends have been bitten by black widow and recluse spiders. At my daughter's cross country meet this year I saw this sign:

Mountain lions AND rattlesnakes! My daughter, and all the other cross country kids, ran through fields with mountain lions and rattlesnakes nearby--without batting an eye. Heck, I grew up in Old Lyme, Connecticut--made famous by Lyme's disease and Lyme ticks. When my husband contracted Lyme's disease after a visit to my parents' house one summer, his doctor out here actually said, "There are people that really live in Lyme?" Umm, yep! And it's a beautiful place, too! (BTW, my husband recovered fine from his bout with the disease) So, all that to say no matter where you live there will be something to make other people question why you would want to live where "fill-in-the-blank" lives. Before you throw Costa Rica out as a place to visit or live because it has snakes (and other "scary things"), consider what creepy crawlies are lurking near (or in!) your home right now. Doesn't it just boil down to what you've grown used to? So, the next time you're tempted to say to someone, "How could you possibly live there?" just take a deep breath and think about what you're living with. Ok, off my soap box now, and on with the good stuff. :-)

Although there are lots of exotic animals in Costa Rica, you can still enjoy seeing some "normal" animals as well!

Baby kittens at one of the restaurants



This dog visited us almost every day at the house we rented. Don't know where
she came from, but she was fun to have around! Any locals recognize her?

And I'm curious, did my soap box rant strike a chord with you? What creepy crawlies are near your home? I'd love to have you comment below with the animals that cause others to wonder how you could possibly live where you do--whether it's the black flies of Maine or something more exotic.




Click below for your free DVD on Costa Rica, or follow us on these social networks!

                         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabra. Great pictures and I wholeheartedly agree with your rant :). Are some of the pictures from the animal sanctuary at Osa Mountain? My husband and I are also from California (bay area) and we will be living in Uvita/Dominical starting in June. Would love to connect with you. Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Yes, some of those pictures are from Osa Mountain. I'm so jealous that you will be moving in June; we have about 3 1/2 years still until our move, and it seems to be forever for us! Uvita is just up the road from us, so yes, we will have to connect!

      Delete